For the latest episode of The Inspired Surfers Podcast, Jim, founder of Jimmy’s Iced Coffee, is joined down the line by one of surf culture’s most enlightened duos; iconic free surfer and environmental campaigner Dave Rastovich and his partner, pro-longboarder turned author and activist, Lauren Hill.
After many years of surfing professionally, just under a decade ago the pair settled on an idyllic plot in Byron Bay, where they grow food for the community, raise their child, Minoa, present the Water People podcast and campaign on environmental issues.
Last year Lauren co-authored the book She Surf, documenting the rise of women’s surfing through the stories of the world’s most inspiring female wave riders. Find out more and get a copy here.
In this conversation, recorded through an at-times patchy phone line (they only get signal in one room of the house) the pair discuss activism, growing food, parenthood, and – after a lifetime of non-stop surfing – the wave riding experiences they now find most fulfilling.
Listen below or subscribe now wherever you get your podcasts.
- An introduction to Lauren and Dave, live from the ‘Culture Club’.
- The recent floods that have devastated Australia’s East Coast and the reflections they’ve inspired.
- The joy at seeing surfers stepping forward into more of a protective role.
- Campaigns to prevent the industrialisation of Australia’s coast.
- Dave’s idea to develop ‘the surfer’s garden’ – a community permaculture garden, which feeds local families.
- Actions inspired by the economical and political ideas of localisation – creating connective tissue.
- Cultural changes brought on by Covid.
- Dave’s reflections on his recent interview with Fergal Smith.
- How Dave’s relationship with surfing has changed since having kids.
- Work with Patagonia.
- Lauren’s upbringing in Florida and the elements of the culture she’s looking forward to reconnecting with.
- How Dave and Lauren met.
- Cultural evolution in women’s equality – an exciting time in the diversification of surf culture.
- Plans for the future.
- A discussion on the surfing experiences they find most fulfilling.
Cover photo: Donnie Hedden