Voting is now open at www.surferawards.com through midnight PT on Monday (12/5) to determine the best of the worst. While there’s no actual award for the category, the winner will have the pride of knowing he survived the beatdown of the year.
“Worst Wipeout is the one SURFER Awards category that nobody sets out to win, for obvious reasons,” says SURFER Editor Todd Prodanovich. “The ten wipeouts we’ve selected this year are some of the most brutal spills you can imagine, from Garrett McNamara skipping down the Mavericks face like a stone, to Grant “Twiggy” Baker’s elevator drop at Waimea. The only thing crazier than these falls is the fact that the surfers actually survived them, which is a testament to just how tough these chargers are.”
The 2016 SURFER Awards Worst Wipeout nominees:
- Derek Dunfee, Mavericks (footage courtesy of TKTK)
- Matt Bromley, Mavericks (footage courtesy of Kyle Buthman)
- Garrett McNamara, Mavericks (footage courtesy of Powerlines Productions)
- David Rutherford, Puerto Escondido (footage courtesy of Ryan Schnell)
- Grant “Twiggy” Baker, Waimea Bay (footage courtesy of WSL)
- Mason Ho, Waimea Bay (footage courtesy of Rory Pringle)
- Tom Dosland, Jaws (footage courtesy of Red Bull Media)
- Ryan Hipwood, Ours (footage courtesy of Red Bull Media)
- Evan Faulks, Ours (footage courtesy of Red Bull Media)
- Danny Griffiths, Shipstern Bluff (footage courtesy of Dave Otto)
Tune into the SURFER Awards webcast beginning at 9 pm PST (7 pm HST) on Tuesday, Dec. 6th, where all of the winners will be announced live at SurferAwards.com from the exclusive awards ceremony at Turtle Bay Resort.
Working media are invited to attend and cover the biggest night in surfing on Dec. 6th. To request attendance, complete the online credential request form.
Special thanks to SURFER partners Nexen Tire, Martin Guitar, Banzai Bowls and Turtle Bay Resort for helping to bring the biggest night in surfing to life.