Inspired Surfers is a 10 part series – in partnership with Jimmy’s. We uncover the stories of characters who have taken their passion for surf into their day to day lives and done big and amazing things.
In this episode, we are in conversation with Andy Medd – One of the founders of Mother, which is arguably one the worlds best independent creative agencies.
Andy’s story comes at surfing from a slightly different angle. We explore how the sport inspires and drives him in his day to day landlocked London life.
We have been fortunate enough to get to know Andy over the years, and benefit from his creative wisdom. And though we tend to meet in a ‘working capacity’ it never takes long for conversations to drift onto tales of surfing with a focus on Sennen and Hossegor, where Andy is fortunate to own some pretty special houses that he enjoys regularly with his family.
Like the majority of us, Andy is searching for the perfect work / life balance and currently juggles his creativity at Mother with incubating/growing brands through Broody and finding ways to get outdoors and into the water as much as possible.
This is a story of a London based surfer doing what he can to make it work.
In this conversation Jim and Andy discuss:
- Trips to Hossegor
- The beauty of Sennen
- Houses in both Sennen & Hossegor
- The Quik Pro France (Watching live)
- Intimidating Hossegor (waves and surfers)
- Waking up by the sea
- London as home
- Accumulating a quiver
- Running Mother
- Lucky breaks
- Running Broody (incubating and growing businesses)
- Dodgy dogs created with Jean Julien
- Supporting Crowdfunder in Newquay (especially in Summer)
- Work / Surf culture in Newquay
- From working at Coke to advertising
- “Mother is free and independent but would be miserable in captivity”
- Being independent
- How Mother started
- ‘The right time is always too soon’
- Nursem. A skincare brand that donates to nurses
- Scaling up a company on Zoom
- How life will change post covid
- Mother surfers? More beards and chai latte’s
- Impossible to be a committed surfer in London ?
- Wave pools
- Surfing in Byron Bay
- The beauty of surfing with family and being a grom
- Work life balance
- Slowing down and focussing on bigger and longer trips
- Costa Rica / Nicaragua waves
- Nothing better than talking surfing
We hope that this story inspires you to Keep Your Chin Up, do good and take on the challenges in front of you!
If you enjoyed this episode you can find more conversations on our Wavelength Community channel.
Get your caffeine fix here