Inspired Surfer – Hugo Tagholm –
A world leader in ocean conservation and environmental activism.
Inspired Surfers is a 10 part series – in partnership with Jimmy’s Iced Coffee. We uncover the stories of characters who have taken their passion for surf into their day to day lives and done big and amazing things.
In this episode we are in conversation with Hugo Tagholm, Chief Executive at Surfers Against Sewage; a globally renowned charity that needs little introduction. The organisation has been leading the way in environmental activism for the last 30 years, benefiting hugely from Hugo’s ambitious leadership over the last 12.
Behind his humble and modest nature is someone who is extremely driven. With Surfers Against Sewage, he has been able to combine his passion for the environment and the sport, drawing on prior business experience to create an organisation with global ambition.
It is this combination that has built a foundation for sustainable success and impact, seeing SAS grow from a feisty group of surfers into a charity that is effecting significant change and inspiring support from the likes of Prince Charles and Sir David Attenborough.
Life by the sea gives Hugo and his team an authentic reminder of why they do what they do and allows them to benefit from the positive mental and physical impacts of surfing and swimming.
This episode covers a lot of ground, from the impact of covid, all the way through to surfing waves with family and friends! Enjoy.
In this conversation Jim and Hugo discuss:
- The changing world
- Returning of nature
- Twitter announcing staff can WFH for ever
- Is this the end of offices?
- Communities coming together
- Some negatives attached to shaming, especially in localised surfing
- Ocean is the number 1 destination that people want to get back to
- Flexibility will allow us to live more harmoniously
- Looking at the ocean on a daily basis acts as an authentic reminder
- Hugo’s 12 year journey so far with SAS
- Inspiring planet before profit
- Employees desire to work with ‘good’ companies
- The ‘eureka moments’ behind SAS and specific campaigns
- Storm Hercules
- Blue Planet
- Campaigning in suits and wetsuits (the logistics)
- The Creature at Westminster
- The stigma around being ‘a surfer’
- Jimmys going Plastic Free
- Creating equality between western world and the third world
- Using government legislation to make real change
- Life in Cornwall
- Favourite spot – Droskyn
- Surfing with family
- The calming effect of surf
- Keep Your Chin Up Academy – Inspired by positivity
We hope that this story inspires you to Keep Your Chin Up, do good and take on the challenges in front of you!
You can listen to more inspired surfers in this 10 part series presented by Jimmy’s Iced Coffee on our Wavelength Community Radio Channel
Get your caffeine fix here