Inspired Surfers is a 10 part series – in partnership with Jimmy’s. We uncover the stories of characters who have taken their passion for surf into their day to day lives and done big and amazing things.
In this episode we are in conversation with Richard Walker – Managing Director of Iceland Foods. Richard is well known for his environmental activism.
A few years ago we met Richard at the Ocean Plastics Solutions day hosted by our friends Surfers against Sewage and Finisterre. A few things became immediately clear:
– Richards’ passion for surf and the outdoors. He froths as hard as a grom and has an infectious love for getting into the wild and taking on challenges.
– His passion to do good and protect the planet. As someone who sees waves and mountains as his escape, he is doing all that he can to inspire change that creates a positive environmental impact.
– His ability to effect change in a huge industry. As Managing Director of Iceland Foods Richard has the ability to force change in an industry that is not famed for its environmental credentials. However, when you look into it, as a family-owned business, Iceland has long been a disruptive force for good.
Since meeting, we have stayed in touch and become good friends with Richard, enjoying many waves together at our respective ‘locals’ in Cornwall and North Wales (Surf Snowdonia). The scale and impact that Richard operates is truly inspiring and we wanted to bring his story to you to enjoy and learn from.
In this conversation Jim and Richard discuss:
- Life in lockdown
- Local surf breaks
- Richards early career
- Running a £3b+ Business
- Environmental impact
- Climbing Everest
- Pioneering mountain ascents and naming mountains
- Juggling work / home / adventures
- The benefits of surf in life and work
- How environmental stewardship has been driven by passion for surf
- Cutting out single use plastic
- Palm Oil campaigns
- Being a trustee of Surfers Against Sewage
- Richards Quiver
- Surfing with family
- Favourite surf spots
We hope that this story inspires you to Keep Your Chin Up, do good and take on the challenges in front of you!
Get your caffeine fix here
Cover photo: Maxwell Roche