Not being able to go to the pub sure is a bummer, so why not let the pub come to you?
The Wavelength Pub Quiz went live on Facebook Friday 27/03/20, and you can go back on watch it in our videos on there at a later date too, just in case you kooked it and were watching Looking Sideways live instead (Just kidding! Great pod!).
Round 1 – People & Places
1. What’s the name of the outer reef at Croyde?
2. Which German city has a standing wave known as the Eisbach?
3. Name the Brighton surf spot, with (very) rude word?
4. Which Jersey tube pig charger, core lord, entrepreneur made the local paper surfing in the nude on the island on New Years Eve in the 2000’s?
5. Multiple welsh champ, wetsuit maker and all round Welsh legend, Greg Owen was once arrested for surfing at which spot?
The Esplanade, Porthcawl
6. Trump Golf course, just got refused permission to build a wall threatening the dunes at which Irish beachbreak?
7. Which European surfer has competed for longboard world title, in Big Wave Tour events/XXL and on the CT?
8. At what spot in the UK would you expect to see someone zip lining over your head while you sit in the lineup?
9. Where’s Linda’s Left… ?
10. Who holds the record for the longest ride on the Severn Bore?
Steve ‘The Wizard’ King
Looking for more ways to stay entertained while stuck indoors?
Right now, we’re offering an annual subscription to our print edition, two bags of Wavelength X Origin coffee beans and a £100 Ticket To Ride voucher, so you can hit the road as soon as this has all blown over, all for just £20 (with free P&P)
Get it now and receive your first edition straight away!
Round 2 – Surfing in Popular Culture
1. Name Kelly Slater’s character in Baywatch?
2. In N Shore, what was Rick Kane’s home state?
3. Which Scottish actor, nearly drowned filming Point Break 2?
4. What was the name of the spot JC was so keen to surf in 90s surf classic ‘Blue Juice’?
5. Pink Floyd collabed with which filmmaker/kneeboarder on Crystal Voyager, donating the soundtrack? George Greenough
6. Inglorious Basterds starts in French Basque Country… which actor in that film owns a house overlooking big wave spot at Guethary?
7. Figueira da Foz WCT event in 2000… Animated film Surf’s Up… What’s the link?
8. Welsh beachbreak used filming Robin Hood (the Russell Crow one) and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows?
9. Surfing in France started in 1956 at Cote des Basques in Biarritz. First surfers were american actors filming a movie adaptation of which Ernest Hemingway book?
The Sun Also Rises
10. Blue Crush former Eddie Aikau winner, hawaiian lifeguard wore a bikini at pipe to do stunts for Kate Bosworth?
Round 3 – Surf History
1. What’s the name of the now extinct wave at Anglet, surfed by Slater in KS in B&W?
2. What year did Russ Winter qualify for the CT… first European ever? AVE IT RUSS!
3. What year did Russ Winter win the Highland open in Thurso?
4. Which Hossegor-based shaper invented reverse vee?
5. What was unusual about Tom Curren’s 1994 Rip Curl Pro Hossegor heat against Matt Hoy?
Surfed a kneeboard
6. Chris Benyon was a shaper for which iconic 80’s/90’s board brand?
7. What is traditionally done to winners at Mundaka surf comps?
Thrown off the harbour wall
8. Buondi Pro in Ericeira was the first pro event in Portugal… what year?
9. Who was the last and therefore still reigning East Coast Champion (of England)?
Evan ‘Tilly’ Tiltshere
10. Mark Vaughan became a multi-disciplinarian when he competed for the land of his fathers in the 2012 Eurosurf in another division as well as surfing? What division?